Thursday, August 07, 2008

Off to SciFoo - My Sessions

I'm heading off to SciFoo. Here are my contributions to the SciFoo sessions wiki:

Following up on Antony Williams and Cameron Neylon, I would like to participate in a session on Open Notebook Science. The idea here is a little different from the concept of Open Data, which can mean different things to different people. For example, a public database of boiling points would certainly classify as Open Data but with access to ONS you would get the lab notebook page of the researcher who measured a certain boiling point. You could then assess the exact conditions reported and assess the likelihood of the boiling point being accurate. Jean-Claude Bradley

I would like to set up a live session using Second Life sometime Saturday morning. After SciFoo last year we had numerous presentations on Second Nature Island (see SciFooLivesOn wiki for details). Just prior to this meeting, 23andMe did a presentation. It would be great to have a few people from the conference as well as outside participate. I can demonstrate some data visualization work (in collaboration with Andy Lang) in chemistry to show the benefits of the virtual platform. I'll start a thread on my FriendFeed to report more details of the time and content. Jean-Claude Bradley

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike 2.5 License