Thursday, October 30, 2008

ONS in 15 minutes

In the middle of my trip to the UK my hard drive crashed. It now looks like I won't be able to recover any of the recordings of the talks I gave. That's the bad news.

The good news is that I recently had the opportunity to give a fairly abbreviated summary of our Open Notebook Science and malaria work for a mini-symposium of faculty research in the Chemistry department at Drexel.

Screencasts and video recordings of talks are useful for many people but dedicating an hour of linear time is a tall order these days.

It is handy to have a 15 minute version available as mp3 or video.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 3:06 AM, Blogger Egon Willighagen said...

Hi Jean-Claude! Really sorry to hear about your harddisk crash!

I can highly recommend using a (distributed) version control system for all your important work. You just add and commit everything each day, and upload your changes whenever you have reasonable bandwidth.

Think of it as private distributed notebook science (though you can always put your repository on your public web server too ;)

 
At 6:26 AM, Blogger Jean-Claude Bradley said...

Egon - thanks.
Most of my working documents were on GoogleDocs so that wasn't the problem. The screencast recordings are just so large. I thought I was ok because I uploaded my Manchester talk to GoogleVideo (even though it took all night at the hotel). Unfortunately, Google rejected the video - they never answered my emails but I think it has to do with the minimum of 12 frames per sec. I had used a lower fps to reduce size.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike 2.5 License